Sky Guardians. Another
Witty biggie, but this time with an up or down gear option. The
colors are nicely contrasty and well applied. Fortunately, Witty
can get their diecast through the manufacturing process without
scratching the paint, which is something certain big boys in the
business can't. Except for the canopy, which has a case of the pop-ups,
everything fits well without filing, though some of the "open"
wheel-well covers have to be affixed with sticky clay. (I tried
holding the canopy down with clay daubs, but with limited success.)
The riveting is pleasantly invisible to the eye, and is of the innie
variety, rather than the maddening outie. (For the aspiring aeronautical
engineer masters candidate, consider this thesis: "The Effects
of Outie Rivet Turbulance at Speeds Greater than Mach 2".)
The Pitot was the first to go.
Now the bad: there is almost no where to hold this model without
coming into contact with, and breaking, some blasted little piece
that is hanging, sticking out, or hidden between. The silver Pitot
behind the canopy on the starboard side was the first to go, and
it took half an hour to get it back in place, using super glue,
tweezers, fingers, and some salty language. To work with super glue
for that long without getting it somewhere unintended is nothing
short of a miracle. I was blessed.
The next to go was the nose probe.
I didn't know until after I turned the model from port side, pointing
away, to port side, pointing to, that the blasted probe was no longer
probing (see the photos). Of course, the pictures were the clue,
so the probe was somewhere within the 800 cubic feet of the room
(don't laugh: stranger things have happened than a floating diecast
piece). I removed the two chairs, the tripod, and a couple model
boxes, then got down on elbows and knees, flashlight in hand, to
scan every square inch of the floor, preliminary to going through
cuffs, tops of shoes, bedding, and the cracks between the floor
boards. I finally found the piece and glued it on...then knocked
it off again...pushed it back on again...bumped it crooked... straightened
it... and finally finishing the picture taking. Not sure what I'll
do with the probe now; I might have it bronzed.